Portable Generators Use after Hurricane Irene, American Control Center Issues Safety Alert, Warning of Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with Careless Use

By on Aug 30, 2011 in Announcement, Environment, Health, Science, United States Comments

Carbon Monoxide 3D Image
Image Credit: en.wikipedia.org

The use of portable generators after Hurricane Irene left cities without electric power, has prompted the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) to issue a safety alert warning of carbon monoxide poisoning with careless use. This warning was issued by AAPCC, August 26, 2011 and reported by US sites, August 27, 2011.

According to News8wtnh.com, August 29, 2011, six persons in Fairfield, Connecticut were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning because of a generator running in their basement.

AAPCC warned that carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless, non-irritating gas, and is called a silent killer because its mild symptoms are sometimes not interpreted as toxic. Symptoms include dizziness, sleepiness, light-headedness, vertigo. If left untreated it can cause death.

In view of this, the AAPCC recommends these pointers in the safe use of portable generators:

•           Carefully follow the manufacturer’s safety instructions for portable generators.

•           Never use portable generators indoors, in garages or near open windows.

•           Do not siphon gasoline by mouth to fill a generator with fuel.

•           Use battery-operated (or battery-backup) carbon monoxide alarms. Be sure to test the batteries.

•           If you experience sleepiness, dizziness, headaches, confusion, weakness or your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, immediately seek fresh air and call your poison center at 1-800-222-1222.

Public can also contact Loreeta Canton, the communications manager of the American Association of Poison Control Centers, at 703.894.1863 or email her at canton@aapcc.org



Spread The News!



Tags: , , , , ,

Advertisement

Related News



What's On Your Mind?




Pinterest
Email