Jeneba Tarmoh runoff with Allyson Felix canceled; Tarmoh withdraws chance to 2012 London OlympicsBy Angel Cuala on Jul 3, 2012 in Racing, Sports, United States •
American sprinter Jeneba Tarmoh has withdrawn herself from the 100-meter runoff between her and Allyson Felix, which was supposed to happen this Monday, July 2, 2012, giving herself up a chance to compete in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Jeneba Tarmoh (left) and Allyson Felix, after their
race in 100-meter 2012 Olympic trials on June 23.
Image Credit: Michael Heiman/Getty Images
As noted at LA Times on Monday afternoon, Jeneba Tarmoh decided not to pursue the said runoff after she and Allyson Felix were tied at 11.068 seconds for the third spot during the 2012 Olympics trial for the women’s 100-meter dash last June 23, which was only realized after a review of photo-finish images.
According to the report, Tarmoh told USA Track and Field President (USATF) President and Chairwoman Stephanie Hightower about her withdrawal from the runoff, to be held at 8 p.m. EDT at Hayward Field, noting earlier that she felt she won over Felix.
“In my heart of hearts, I just feel like I earned the third spot. I almost feel like I was kind of robbed.” Jeneba Tarmoh was quoted last Sunday, who even received a medal as the third-place finisher and had a news conference after the race, with Carmelita Jeter winning the first place and Tianna Madison being the first runner-up.
“I, Jeneba Tarmoh, have decided to decline my 3rd place position in the 100m dash to Allyson Felix. I understand that with this decision I am no longer running the 100m dash in the and will be an alternate for the event.” The 22-year old runner was quoted in an email at LA Times, as sent by her agent, Kimberly Holland.
“As an alternate I understand that I will be asked to run if another 100m runner decides not to for personal reasons, and/or on the 4x100m relay.” Tarmoh added, who reportedly trained with Felix in Los Angeles with coach Bobby Kersee.
Spread The News!