ITU Telecom World 2013 Competition invites young innovators to join in solving global challengesBy Angel Cuala on Jun 25, 2013 in Technology, World •
The ITU Telecom World 2013 is inviting the next generation of social entrepreneurs around the world, including from the Philippines to join in solving global challenges. This Young Innovators Competition 2013 is open to young person between the ages of 18 and 26.
ITU Telecom World 2013 Contest Invitation
Image Credit: ITU Telecom World 2013 Facebook
As reiterated at CreativeAvenue.net early last week, the aim of this year’s competition is to come up with an original, real-life, and inspirational ICT-based solutions to developmental challenges. This is part of the ITU Telecom World 2013 event in Bangkok, Thailand from November 19-22, 2013.
The Young Innovators Competition is now on its third year in showcasing the growing community of talented and young social entrepreneurs. Last year, 12 finalists were chosen from nearly 400 entries from 77 countries around the world, which took part in ITU Telecom World 2012 in Dubai.
This year, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Telecom World is inviting applicants to submit their own creative solution in any of the six global challenges stated below.
1. Improve employment opportunities for young people and migrant workers
2. Reduce food and water wastage at individual and retail level
3. Facilitate access to public services for the elderly
4. Improve natural disaster prediction and response
5. Improve road safety for both drivers and pedestrians
6. Protect sensitive personal data and inspire the creation of local digital content
The ten finalists will be chosen by a committee of experts, and will win the following:
• Up to US $10,000 in seed money to implement and bring to scale winning start-ups; up to US $5,000 for winning concepts
• An invitation to attend ITU Telecom World 2013 in Bangkok
• Mentoring from high-level industry representatives both in Bangkok and for the following year
• Hands-on workshop training in entrepreneurial skills
• Opportunities to meet and network with leading ICT players
• Showcasing platform at their dedicated pavilion on the showfloor
To join, applicants should in the application form at World2013.itu.int and send their entries to [email protected], and use “2013 Young Innovators Competition” in the subject line. Deadline of submission is on June 30, 2013 (24:00 GMT+2).
Spread The News!