Chimp Victim Gets $4 Million On Settlement AgreementBy May Shella Mojana-Macuha on Dec 2, 2012 in Animals, United States •
Chimp victim, Charla Nash, will receive about $4 million from the estate of the chimpanzee’s owner after a settlement agreement, international news sites reported on Saturday, November 29, 2012.
According to reports, a lawsuit had been filed by Nash‘s brother on her behalf in 2009 demanding for $50 million in damages from the animal’s owner, Sandra Herold, who died in 2010. Nash lost both hands, blinded and underwent a face transplant after being attacked in February 2009.
“I think it was a fair compromise on all sides,” Attorney Brenden Leydon, representing Herold‘s estate, reportedly said.
Meanwhile, Charles Willinger, the lawyer of Nash said that the amount is insignificant.
“The money that we have obtained for Charla is an insignificant amount in the scene of things. It won’t nearly address her medical needs and her other lifestyle needs, not to mention pain and suffering. That is why we will pursue the entity we think is most culpable, the Energy and Environmental Protection Department of Connecticut, for allowing Sandra Herold to possess the chimp in the first place, ” Willinger was quoted as saying.
The settlement agreement calls for Herold‘s estate to provide Nash with $3.4 million in real estate, $140,000 in machinery and equipment, $331,000 in cash, and $44,000 in vehicles, reports said.
Spread The News!