Bahrain Grand Prix Formula One (F1) 2011 postponed as anti-government protests continue

By on Feb 22, 2011 in Middle East, Sports Comments

The Bahrain Grand Prix Formula One (F1) 2011 has been officially postponed as anti-government protests continue in the Gulf kingdom, as announced by organizers on Monday.

<
Gulf Air CEO Salman Majali
and Salman bin Isa Al Khalifa

Photo credit: Hasan Jamali/AP

According to international news sites, the Bahrain Grand Prix F1 race, which is schedule to take place on March 13, had been canceled due to continuous anti-government protests, where five people were reportedly killed.

Apparently, the Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) has confirmed to news reports the postponement of the Bahrain Grand Prix Formula One (F1).

“We must focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting to a later date,” Bahrain Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa was quoted as saying.

“After the events of the past week, our nation’s priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united.” He added.

Reports also said F1 Boss Bernie Ecclestone has been informed by the Bahrain Prince through telephone, and respected the decision to postpone the said race.

“It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country,” Bernie Ecclestone apparently told BBC Sports.

“I would like to extend my personal gratitude to Bernie Ecclestone for his support and understanding.” The Prince said.

No announcement was made yet for the date of resume for the Bahrain Grand Prix, which has been on the Formula One calendar yearly since 2004.

The opening event will now be the Australian Grand Prix, which will be held on March 27, 2011 in Melbourne.



Spread The News!



Tags: , , , , , ,

Advertisement

Related News



What's On Your Mind?




Pinterest
Email