11-year-old boy dies in blizzard: Boy inhaled too much CO inside a car in Boston

By on Feb 10, 2013 in Science, United States, Weather, World Comments

An 11-year-old boy dies in a blizzard related incident in the Dorchester neighborhood on Saturday, February 9, 2013, according to the Boston Fire Department.

The blizzard, Winter Storm Nemo, has wreck havoc in the East Coast, leaving several areas covered with thick snow, power shutdown of over 650,000 people, and coastal flooding in some areas.”

Reports say that the 11-year-old boy died due to too much inhalation of carbon monoxide while he is inside a running car with his father. Earlier, he was helping his father shovel the snow. But he got cold and decided to go back to the car to warm himself, while waiting for his father.

Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald noted that carbon monoxide fumes filled the car because the exhaust was covered by a snow bank.

The 11-year-old boy’s father suffered from respiratory arrest due to the fumes. Both were taken to the Boston Medical Center, where the boy was pronounced dead.

As of posting, authorities have not released any personal information pertaining to the two victims.

Governor Deval Patrick earlier placed the commonwealth of Massachusetts under a state of emergency and was lifted at 4 p.m. on Saturday.

However, public transportation system in the area is still down according to reports.



Spread The News!



Tags: , , , , , ,

Advertisement

Related News



What's On Your Mind?




Pinterest
Email