Wimbledon to leave NBC after 43 years and will move to ESPN, reports sayBy Angel Cuala on Jul 4, 2011 in Business, Sports, World •
Wimbledon tennis logo
Image Credit: Wimbledon.com
The Wimbledon tennis event is being set to leave NBC after 43 years and will be moved to ESPN, with the formal announcement was said to be made this week.
According to SportsBusiness Journal on Sunday, July 3, 2011, which first reported about the transfer, a source told them that Wimbledon has decided to to sell its full rights package to ESPN.
As noted on its report, Wimbledon, in which Fox, ESPN and NBC has been competing for the rights of airing its events, will be ending a 43-year deal with NBC and all Wimbledon tennis matches can be watched on cable live via ESPN.
Meanwhile, NBC has now a 4-year deal with Wimbledon, which was said to have a $13-million average annually, has reportedly ended last Sunday when Novak Djokovic won the 2011 Wimbledon Finals against Rafael Nadal.
ESPN previously signed deals to bring events to cable such as the British Open and BCS Championships, but no further details about the Wimbledon were known and the deal has not yet been signed by both parties as of this writing.
Spread The News!